Companies seeking funding must meet the following requirements:
- The technological and business potential to successfully carry out a project and implement the results must be available (qualified technical personnel, new hires with necessary technological know-how or contractually regulated temporary personnel admissions during the R&D phase).
- Depending on the funding program, the company must have completed its start-up phase. For example, ZIM is aimed at companies that are already established in the market.
- If an own contribution is required, this must be financed independently.
- Companies in financial difficulties (insolvency or impending insolvency) are excluded from funding. The project-executing agency carries out a credit check in principle.
- An orderly accounting system must be maintained. The project sponsorship may carry out spot checks.
- The applicant must be able to ensure the continued smooth operation of the company despite the R&D project (this also applies to the management). For start-ups, depending on the funding program, separate rules may apply (establishment of a business model).